The National Polytechnic School was founded on August 27, 1869 by President Garcia Moreno, who had the support of the Superior of the Company of Jesus. The nascent Polytechnic was conceived as the first center for teaching and scientific research, as an integrating organ of the country and as a generator of national development. It was the German Provincial of the Order of the Society of Jesus, who sent to Ecuador for the nascent Polytechnic, a team of wise men and young religious, with a relevant scientific preparation, together with an unshakeable spirit of work and an exemplary identification with the country . They were: the German John Baptist Menten, first dean -director, the German Teodoro Wolf and the Italian Luis Sodiro. In its first stage it has a very short existence. On September 15, 1876, President Borrero closed it, due to political reasons. On February 28, 1935, President Velasco Ibarra signed the decree to reopen the EPN, aimed at studies in Mathematics, Cosmography, Physics, Applied Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mining Engineering and Geology. On June 4, 1946, by means of a decree issued by President Velasco Ibarra, in his second magistracy, the name of Instituto Superior Politécnico was changed to that of the National Polytechnic School, with which it has been operating uninterruptedly until today. Until 1960, the EPN operated in a small building of the Alameda, in an area of 600 square meters, which were the classrooms, laboratories and administrative offices. The Faculties of Electrical Engineering, Chemistry and the Institute of Nuclear Sciences took their first steps.